New Delhi: It seems fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi’s legal battle to prevent his extradition is getting tougher as the Dominican government has declared him as a ‘prohibited immigrant’.
In fact, the Dominican National Security and Home Affairs ministry has directed the police to take necessary action to remove Choksi from Dominica as per the procedure, according to a report by Hindustan Times.
On the other hand, his lawyer Vijay Aggarwal has claimed last week that Choksi did not enter Dominica illegally and the police cannot arrest him as he is not a “prohibted immigrant”.
The ministry has also issued a notice declaring Mehul Choksi a prohibited immigrant on May 25, as per the HT report. The ministry also directed the police to “remove him from the Commonwealth of Dominica” in keeping with the procedure laid out in Section 5(1) (1) of the Immigration and Passport Act.
The report also mentioned that the ministry had sent a separate notice to Choksi on the same day, informing the businessman that he is “not permitted to enter Dominica”. The notice also asked the police “to take all the necessary actions to have you repatriated”.
Choksi along with his nephew Nirav Modi is accused in the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank fraud case. India had already presented its case to enable extradition and present evidence of Choksi’s financial fraud to Dominica and urged the country to clear his deportation.
Meanwhile, his rumoured girlfriend Barbara Jarabica revealed their relationship status while throwing light into the abduction theory.
Barbara Jarabica has now come out openly about this entire alleged abduction claims and divulged information about his plan of visiting Cuba. She has refuted the claims of abduction saying, “No one contacted me. There was no sign of abduction and I said in other interviews, for people who know Jolly Harbour area, it’s impossible to kidnap anyone there, in the safest place, family area,”: Barbara Jabarica told ANI when asked if any Indian besides Mehul Choksi, was in touch with her.